Re: [ANN] Quantian: A Knoppix remastering for Scientific Computing

qOn Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 05:29:05PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2003, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> > [ If there is sufficient interest, this may morph into a Debian subproject.
> >   Please contact me if you would want to be part of it.  --edd ]
> >
> > 	 Announcing the "Quantian Scientific Computing Environment"
> While I like any project which tries to connect Knoppix and Debian
> stronger I think the project you mentioned above is doing the second
> step.  In several threads in the debian-knoppix mailing list especially

"Second step" ? I don't get it? What second step?

> at
>    http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermail/debian-knoppix/2003-March/thread.html
> I tried to explain how this connection between Debian and Knoppix
> can be done.  I hope we can discuss this at LinuxTag and Debconf 3 / Oslo.

Unfortunately, I cannot attend either.

> If we will be able to bootstrap a Knoppix CD from a Debian mirror all
> other Knoppix derivaties will be as easily to acheave as any Debian
> package can be installed.

That is a fine goal for the medium to long term. Quantian is about
addressing a current niche, and demand, right now.  Both goals are
complements and do not stand in each others way.

Cheers, Dirk

Don't drink and derive. Alcohol and analysis don't mix.