Re: /etc/hostname

On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 07:44:20PM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 10:55:13AM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> > On a laptop with a sometimes disconnected PCMCIA network card you
> > might find this very inconvenient.  The first configuration above will
> > always use the loopback address and will always be able to talk to
> > itself even if the network is offline since the loopback is always
> > available.
>
> Well, i think if an application want to talk to itself it should use
> localhost anyway. I do not know of any applications which talk to itself via
> hostname.

An application that really wants to talk to a server of which it _knows_
it's running on the local machine will likely use a Unix socket, not a
TCP/IP one, to connect to that server.

What usually happens when a system is connecting via TCP/IP to the
localhost is not an application using the name 'localhost', but the user
entering that name; thus, it's not hard to think of a user entering the
machine's hostname instead of just 'localhost'. After all, novice users
may not know that the name 'localhost' refers to the local machine...