Re: Debian menu system update

* Morten Brix Pedersen <morten@mbrix.dk> [030530 11:07]:
> 2) The current menu files use a "needs" field to designate whether the
> application uses console or X11 (e.g. needs="text"). In our .desktop
> files, this field will be named X-Menu-Needs and will only be required
> for non-X11 applications. (so current GNOME/KDE .desktop entries won't
> have to be changed)

I hope it will support more then just "text", like the better system
did.

> 3) The current menu files has a "package" field to designate which
> package must be installed before the menu file will be used. In our
> .desktop files, this field will be named X-Menu-Package. But I'm unsure
> whether we should still require this field. Not requiring it might break
> some menu entries; but requiring it will force us to change upstreams
> .desktop files with the addition of X-Menu-Package.

I do not think this should be required. (But it should be supported of
course). It's task is to allow the menu-package to include some menus
by default in the starting phase, and to make it easier for the
administrator to localy change an item. (Without the fear to have
phantom entries after the package is removed).

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link

--
Sendmail is like emacs: A nice operating system, but missing
an editor and a MTA.