Re: Debian menu system update

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 01:12:08PM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> I am not too sure I want this... One of the great things about our menu
> system is that it complies with a rather logical policy - menus are not
> overly nested. I don't know how is the .desktop format, but I understand
> it is just that - a format. I really doubt it provides the coherency of
> Debian's menu system - Imagine, for example, a developer files his
> browser in Apps/Browsers instead of Apps/Net - What can we do about it?
> We can not even file a bug. He will probably not care about our
> complaint, as he does not need to abide by any policy for HIS work.

This is not a problem. (See below)

> Menu systems, IMHO, are the task of a distribution - a way to organize a
> collection of software. They should not be the task of individual
> developers.

If this were slashdot I would probably let it slide. You obviously did
not even look at the desktop menu spec or desktop entry spec. Read the
following sections before further commenting...

http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu/draft/menu-spec/menu-spec.html#DESKTOP-ENTRY-EXTENSIONS

http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu/draft/menu-spec/menu-spec.html#CATEGORY-REGISTRY

http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu/draft/menu-spec/menu-spec.html#ONLYSHOWIN-REGISTRY

http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu/draft/menu-spec/menu-spec.html#THIRD-PARTY-HOWTO

Also notice who wrote the spec...

Maintaining our own menu entries is a great disservice to users as well,
or do you have a plan on how to do i18n for all the languages that works
as well as the GNOME and KDE groups? KDE supports over 60 now, I am not
certain about GNOME. Pushing desktop entries to upstream of packages
allows everyone to benefit from translations and from the menu support
itself.

Thanks,
Chris