Re: Cross-compiler for sparc64

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 02:17:05PM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi to all!
>
> Kernel 2.6 is to be released soon (hopefully), thus I tried to compile
> 2.5.69 on sparc64 recently. For those not knowing this arch: kernel is
> 64 bit, userland is 32 bit, thus you need a cross-compiler with host
> sparc32 and target sparc64 to compile a kernel.
>
> The problem is that the currently provided cross-compiler in package
> "egcs64" is _very_ old (1998) and does not work for 2.5.x any more;
> OTOH, the provided gcc does not support cross-compiling to 64-bit.

Wrong and wrong. egcs64 will build 2.5.x, but it is not supported
anymore. You can comment out the error in init/main.c and get working
kernel.

Also, gcc-3.3 will compile 64bit kernels, but they do not boot.

> Are there any plans to provide a recent version? IMHO the package egcs
> should be dropped completely, since "egcs" is history for a long time
> now...

You presume too much. egcs64 is still the prefered compiler for 2.4.x
sparc64 kernels, and 2.6 wont be around for awhile.

I do have a gcc-3.2.3 64bit compiler available from
http://www.phunnypharm.org/~bcollins/sparc/ as an interim solution. In
the long run, I hope to have gcc-3.3 building working sparc64 kernels.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/