Re: Maintaining kernel source in sarge

On Tue, 27 May 2003 19:04, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > Here I suppose the pre-patch is supposed to be applied first, and then
> > the application of the debian patch would only trigger application of
> > those dependant patches not provided by the pre-patch.
>
> The order in which the patches are applied should in general not be
> significant. If it is, it should be stated in the patch description. I
> assumed that the 'Depends' tag is semantically more a 'Pre-Depends',
> right?

It's fairly rare for a patch to depend on another patch without any order
dependency.

When a patch depends (in the English language not the Debian package meaning)
on another patch it usually changes files that were created or changed by the
other patch.

Patches tend to be independant (IE you can use either of them on it's own or
apply them in any order) or there is a dependency which also requires an
ordering of the application.