Re: What makes a debconf?

On Mon, 26 May 2003 23:43, Joe Drew wrote:
> On Sunday, May 25, 2003, at 08:10  PM, Jonathan Oxer wrote:
> > Maybe a reasonable compromise would be to have 2 'official' debconfs /
> > year, as 'Debconf North' and 'Debconf South' (as in Northern and
> > Southern hemisphere).
>
> I've got no problem with this. I wouldn't really even have any problem
> with a Debconf East and West, either. The conflict occurs, though, when
> two such conferences (or opportunities for them) come up in the same
> area.
>
> Such is the issue with the bid for a conference in D.C. vs. my bid for
> one in Vancouver.

Having a single "debconf" was a good idea when it was first started in
Bordeaux.  Since then things have changed, there is more apparent demand for
conferences and more reluctance to travel.

There's no reason why you couldn't have Debian conferences in both places.
Both Canada and the US have decent populations for local attendance and for
each one you should get enough people attending from other countries.

If you can get a venue, arrange suitably priced accomodation, organize a team
of people to do the work of running it, and find enough celebrity speakers
then you can run a conference regardless of what else happens.

It would be nice if we could have a "Debian day" before or after OLS...