Re: Unofficial projects related with Debian.

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 03:01:46PM -0300, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> > That being said, there is certainly a difference between "projects which
> > fork Debian to make a new distro (i.e. providing own versions of existing
> > Debian packages)" vs. "projects which add packages of their own (outside
> > Debian) to extend Debian" vs. "projects which include all of their packages
> > in Debian itself (or at least extend Debian's infrastructure itself, if the
> > project doesn't have any packages of its own)".  Debian Jr. is of the latter
> > sort.  Which of these three kinds of projects are Mono, ipv6, and ddtp?
>
> Forks aren't subprojects.

Sure.  I just included it as a part of the spectrum for the sake of
comparison.

> "Projects which add packages or features for packages that already exists or
> some sort of experimental infrastructure", these are IMHO good for Debian
> subprojects.Debian Jr., Mono, ipv6 and ddtp are covered by this description,
> no?

It sounds plausible.  Debian Jr. is, at least.  I didn't look at the others.
That's why I was asking you, since you brought it up. :)

> Yes, you're the leader of this subproject but IMHO you need be a developer to
> start/maintain a new subproject and follow (obviously) the DFSG and the
> decisions of the entire project.

Sure.  So minimally, a subproject needs a DD to found the project and a DD
to add what the project produces to Debian.  But beyond that fairly
self-evident point, what else can we say about what a subproject *should*
do?  There are probably lots of things that are *beneficial* to making a
subproject work, but I can't think of anything else that is *necessary*.

> I'm just trying start some points to be
> included in the "Debian subproject guidelines".

And I'm glad you brought it up.  I had hoped to get further with my
subproject-howto, but ran out of "oomph" some time ago. :)

Ben
--
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg@debian.org