Re: Problems linking to libdb3++

On Tuesday 20 May 2003 14:22, Andreas Tille wrote:
[snipped warning]
> I wanted to show this here to ask for opinions whether this is a bug in the
> libdb3++-dev header files.  I regard it not to be related to the problem
> but I think we should fix this anyway.  Should I file a wishlist bug report
> here?

Yes. The biggest problem is that <iostream.h> might mean something different
than <iostream>.

>   ~> g++ -Wno-deprecated -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.cc -ldb3_cxx
>   g++ -Wno-deprecated -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.cc -ldb3_cxx
>   /tmp/cc1tyWas.o(.text+0x17): In function `main':
>   /tmp/conftest.cc:6: undefined reference to `DbEnv::version(int*, int*,
> int*)' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> As I sais I have no idea what might went wrong here.  I tried this with
> g++-2.95, g++-3.2 and g++-3.3 und er testing and unstable systems.  I
> always got this strange message and I hope anybody could give me a hint
> which might solve the trouble.

hmmm, switching compilers around randomly is not a solution, especially if
you're missing two of them that where at least temporarily in Debian: 3.0 and
3.1 (I wont even talk about RH-crap like 2.96).

Make sure that your version of libdb++ was compiled with the proper compiler.
You might also want to check that other programs still run with it.
Another point would be a compile-time option turning off (eeck!)
namespace-support while compiling libdb++ (which would ask for a severe bug).
Lastly, find out where the broken and working libdb++s come from, esp that
neither of them are out of date.

In case you couldn't find anything, sync your sources.list and 'apt-get
install --reinstall libdb3++ libdb3++-dev g++ ....'. This wont really help
finding the error though.

happy hacking
Ulrich Eckhardt