Re: security in testing

* Michael Banck (mbanck@debian.org) wrote:
> I wouldn't feel like setting up a repository for testing that only
> clueless people-who-put-every-apt-line-they-see-in-their-sources-list[0]
> would use.

Others would see what you had done and you could post patches to the BTS
with the fixes in them, etc.

> 1. See above
> 2. I don't have the time
> 3. I'm not running testing

Ah, so, you don't have the time.  That would be the reason testing
hasn't got security updates- not enough skilled people with the time to
actually *do* it.  People with the time and skills, DD or not, could
provide updates and eventually I think these people and updates would be
incorporated into Debian in a move where Debian would then start
officially supporting testing.  I don't believe Debian should ever do it
piecemeal or partially.  If it's going to be done then it needs to be
done completely and we must have enough people to do it before we
announce that we will.

> 4. I would have to get a s/390

While having one would be fun if you'd actually been reading what I've
been saying you'd have noticed that you wouldn't have needed one.  You
wouldn't need to be running testing as your main system either.

> I must be totally missing something. Is one getting the s3kr1t
> "create-a-repository-key" when you are becoming a DD? Where would these
> repositories be located? Nobody told me so!
>
> Sorry that I'm not getting this.

That's pretty clear.

To create a respository you just need a couple debs and website and the
tools to create the Packages files, ie: dpkg-scanpackages.

	Stephen