Re: Where are translated man pages packaged?

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 11:24:14AM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is currently no consensus whether translated man pages should
> be shipped along with original man pages or within manpages-xx packages.
> Unfortunately this leads to conflicts when a translation is first
> shipped by the latter, then incorporated into the former (e.g. when
> it becomes part of upstream tarball).
>
> Some developers are reluctant to include French translated man pages and
> ask me to ship them in manpages-fr.  How can I make them change their
> mind?  Is there a consensus that translated man pages must go with
> original man pages?  Are exceptions needed for some packages?

I would say that the manpages-XX should disappear as source packages, and all
manpages-XX bin packages should be generated from the same source package.
That way, it would be really easier to check if the translations are
uptodate or not.
Alioth can be very useful to base a group in charge of maintaining this
package.

To answer your question, I would say that translated manpages have to be in
the same package than the original one when possible.
Concerning packages in base, where space is a concern, as far as dpkg cannot
handle properly translations (ie, until sarge+12 :) they can be placed in
the manpages-XXX packages.

But that's only my opinion, Mt.

--
Tout dormeur a en lui un lève tard qui sommeil.