Re: security in testing

On Wed, 14 May 2003 22:15:28 +0200, Björn Stenberg <bjorn@haxx.se> said:

> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 May 2003 15:16:38 +0200, Björn Stenberg <bjorn@haxx.se>
>> said:
>> > This brings back the question I never got an answer for: Who is
>> > Debian for?
>>
>> Isn't is obvious? Me, of course. Y'all are working to provide a
>> stable environment for my machines at home. Least ways, that's what
>> I am working for. ;-)

> Jokes are good, but a serious answer would be good too. The question
> is serious, important and unanswered. It affects who wants to use
> Debian, and who wants to contribute to it.

	This is less f a joke than you think. There is no Debian CEO
 to assign volunteers to tasks; people tend to do what they want
 to. Human nature being what it is, the tendency is to perform tasks
 that really interest one.

	I am not saying we can generalize and say that enlightened self
 interest is the _only_ thing that drives _all_ the developers, or is
 the dominant stimuli for everyone; but ultimately, whom Debian is
 meant for is the holistic sum of what individual workers are willing
 to work towards.

	Hence, it is to provide machines that developers use (human
 nature and all.)

	manoj
--
It is impossible to experience one's death objectively and still carry
a tune. Woody Allen