Re: security in testing

Michael Stone dijo [Wed, May 14, 2003 at 08:25:45AM -0400]:
> >Yes, there are.  But all of these loose one of the main reasons I feel
> >we even have a testing distribution - to have people testing it.
>
> You are falling into the trap of overselling testing. Having people test
> testing at this point in the development cycle is useless, because the
> real activity is in unstable. You're trying to make testing something it
> isn't, then trying to reshape policy to meet your idea of what testing
> should be. You're hardly the first to do that, but it's no more correct
> this time. I strongly recommend that *nobody* run testing as a everyday
> system, because it just isn't a good choice for that. All the complaints
> we see every couple of weeks about testing would be swept away if people
> followed this advice and simply didn't use testing.

I'm sorry, I am on a public terminal, and can't quite remember where I
read it - But testing should always be close to a releasable state. Of
course, currently it is not due to debian-installer is still not ready
for human consumption... But the bulk of testing should always be
usable. Testing was introduced because the inadequacy of freezing
unstable for months in order to get a release done.

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.cx - (+52-55)5630-9700 ext. 1366
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23