Re: DebConf 3 for New Maintainers

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 01:20:20PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Well enough introduction; my main question is: Would it make sense for
> me to attend Debcamp. Maybe my idea about DebCamp is wrong, but it
> sounds as if it is just a very large debian hacking session, so one
> needs to have something to hack on, and something to hack with. Would
> I find a task there, or should I make sure I have one beforehand? Do I
> have to bring my own PC?

I'm not sure any of us really know what Debcamp will be like yet, given
that it's the first time we've tried it as such. I certainly plan to
have things ready for myself to hack on, but it will largely depend on
who else is there. If other people on various teams I'm on show up then
I'd certainly want to take advantage of that; after all working in
closer cooperation with people than you can normally manage is the big
advantage of a hackathon-style event.

Still, I think it's clear that not everyone there will have projects
ready for themselves. There'll be installer and bug-squashing types
there at least who could always do with help and who can pass out tasks,
and probably other teams I don't know about. If you're capable of
diagnosing bugs and preparing patches I don't think you'll find yourself
short of work. :)

Do bring a laptop, or if necessary another type of machine, if you can.
Although we've not had a Debcamp before, we've had smaller fairly
disorganized hacking sessions at previous conferences and it would have
been a real pain not to have had my laptop with my development
environment. It also lets you be much more independent. I'd suggest
bringing a wireless network card if you have one, just to avoid the
hassle of wires trailing all over the place. (I'm not involved with the
organization, though. Tollef, do you know if there'll be wireless base
stations around or, will we be doing ad-hoc mode?)