Re: Policy on contents of udeb files?

tor 2003-05-08 klockan 15.53 skrev Theodore Ts'o:
> Where can I find policy information about what should and shouldn't go
> into udeb files?  (Is this a bug that should be filed against
> debian-policy that there isn't any?)

The point with udebs is that they take whatever shortcuts they feel like
and don't follow the policy. To document that in the policy seems very
silly.

> The specific question which I have is that apparently in the
> e2fsprogs/debian/rules file which I inherited from Yann, there was an
> attempt to install e2fsprogs.copyright file into e2fsprogs-udeb, but it
> failed due to a bug (it was installed into the build tree instead of the
> package install tree, so surprise, there's no copyright in e2fsprogs-bf
> or e2fsprogs-udeb).  No one seems to have complained.

udebs should not have any documentation in them, I can't say anything
about the -bf package, but for any udeb to have /usr/share/doc is a bug.
I wrote the e2fsprogs udeb support and if it tries to install the
copyright in it, that's a bug that should be fixed in the rules file.

> I haven't been able to figure out where udeb files can be found on the
> net, but I was able to find one (dhcp-client-udeb_3.0.1betaRC4-1_i386.udeb)
> which had somehow managed to sneak into my local debian mirror, and that
> didn't have a copyright file either.  But that .udeb dates from February
> 27, 2002, so it might not be an accurate examplar.

They are in the pool like other packages, but have their own Packages
files in /dists/sarge/main/debian-installer/binary-*.

> So the question is what is supposed to go into a udeb file?  Should
> there be a /usr/share/doc/* directory?

No.

> I'm sorry to be asking so many stupid questions, but I've *searched*,
> and there's no documentation anywhere about how udebs are supposed to
> work or where they can find -- please someone tell me where the FM, so I
> can RT it....

There is some documentation in the debian-installer CVS, but not a lot.
Sorry. The short story is that a udeb should contain as little as
possible, and if you're unsure, run it by us on -boot.

> In other news, due to an utter lack of response to my question about NLS
> support, and given that we're not installing the message catalogs anyway
> (which would take up an awful lot of space on the udeb files, and
> everything about the udebs appear to be aimed at keeping the amount of
> space used to a bare minimum), I'm going to make an executive decision
> to drop NLS support entirely from the e2fsprogs-udeb.  If it turns out
> that isn't the right decision, I don't mind being flamed, as long as the
> flame includes a pointer to the f*cking manual, so I can figure out
> exactly what policy should be with respect to udeb files.  In the
> absence of documented policy, and people willing to answer my questions
> about udebs, I'll just try to make stuff up as I go along, and trust
> people to file bugs when I get it wrong.

Sorry, that mail must've slipped by me. :( No, I don't think we should
have i18n in e2fsprogs, the mkfs programs are run non-interactively
anyway.

/Martin
--
Martin Sjögren