Re: Policy on contents of udeb files?

[Theodore Ts'o]
> Hi there,
>
> Where can I find policy information about what should and shouldn't go
> into udeb files?  (Is this a bug that should be filed against
> debian-policy that there isn't any?)

I guess the closest thing we got is
<URL:http://cvs.debian.org/debian-installer/doc/modules.txt?rev=HEAD>.

> So the question is what is supposed to go into a udeb file?  Should
> there be a /usr/share/doc/* directory?

Unless it is required to get the package woring, I belive it shouldn't
contain anything in /usr/share/doc/.

> I'm sorry to be asking so many stupid questions, but I've
> *searched*, and there's no documentation anywhere about how udebs
> are supposed to work or where they can find -- please someone tell
> me where the FM, so I can RT it....

There is some available in
<URL:http://cvs.debian.org/debian-installer/doc/#dirlist>, but not
very organized.

> I'm going to make an executive decision to drop NLS support entirely
> from the e2fsprogs-udeb.

Sounds sensible to me.

> In the absence of documented policy, and people willing to answer my
> questions about udebs, I'll just try to make stuff up as I go along,
> and trust people to file bugs when I get it wrong.

If you use your best judgement, I trust you to come up with good
conclusions.