Re: arpd's usefulness

The arpd I maintained (10.0.3 and 1.0.4, stioll maintaining them, but
you have to mail me if you want them, because there are very few people
using 2.2 kernels with arpd)
run fine with 2.2 kernels, then
the API changed, and after a while i saw a better arpd maintained my
iproute2 maintainer.

currently a version of arpd running with the new
interface of linux 2.4/2.5 is included in the iproute2 package,
in the misc utilities.
it requires the directory /var/lib/arpd to be present, and features a
little db. the arpd daemon runs also as a db interface with parameters
such as arpd -l (while the daemon is running).

since the interface has changed the new arpd is not enought to manage more
than 255 arps if you do not tune
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/neigh/default/gc_thresh3
but it helps a lot.

Well, I suppose this is all. ;)

bests

Luigi Genoni