Re: /run/, resolvconf and read-only root

On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 09:03:09PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> I do have some new ideas I'm working on though.  I should go through all
> those packages I found that mess with resolv.conf and see just exactly what
> they are doing and why.

most of them require update to the current name servers. Since this is a
feature, which may also be wanted for running programs, I guess one of the
solutions could be to use a ipc shared memory segment. That way scripts can
change it without writing to a file and applications may be modified at
runtime. Of course sysv shared memory is a ugly beast and not all systems
may support it, but other things like kernel support may be harder to get.
Definitely this needs to be resolved by libc folk.

Greetings
Bernd
--
  (OO)      -- Bernd_Eckenfels@Wendelinusstrasse39.76646Bruchsal.de --