Re: /run/, resolvconf and read-only root

On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 09:03:09PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> I do have some new ideas I'm working on though.  I should go through all
> those packages I found that mess with resolv.conf and see just exactly what
> they are doing and why.

most of them require update to the current name servers. Since this is a
feature, which may also be wanted for running programs, I guess one of the
solutions could be to use a ipc shared memory segment. That way scripts can
change it without writing to a file and applications may be modified at
runtime. Of course sysv shared memory is a ugly beast and not all systems
may support it, but other things like kernel support may be harder to get.
Definitely this needs to be resolved by libc folk.

  (OO)      -- Bernd_Eckenfels@Wendelinusstrasse39.76646Bruchsal.de --
  o--o     *plush*  2048/93600EFD  eckes@irc  +497257930613  BE5-RIPE
(O____O)  When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl!