Re: Announcing Debian Package Tags

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 14:32, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:24:19 -0400, David Roundy <droundy@abridgegame.org> said:

> 	To be precise, you said "Maybe novices should only be shown
>  gui programs after all". Not that novices should be allowed to decide
>  to only view gui programs IF THEY WISH, as you said later. The first
>  message impled that some one other than novices decides what to show
>  them, then you toned it down to being a choice of the end user, which
>  is acceptable.

Manoj, the topic here is tuning Debian for different audiences.  Believe
it or not there are a huge number of people in the world for whom if you
said "terminal application" or "gui" they just stare at you blankly.  In
fact they comprise the vast majority of people in the world.  For most
of these people, most console applications are just not usable.

So having a version of Debian (or more precisely a Debian-based OS)
which doesn't list console applications by default is entirely
reasonable.  Maybe you wouldn't use it.  That's great.  That's your
choice.  But there are people who would.

I'm not advocating Debian proper itself do this, so if that's what your
concerned about, rest assured, it will not happen.