Re: /run and read-only /etc

This one time, at band camp, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>On Apr 07, Thomas Hood <jdthood0@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >(I forgot to mention)  J.W.'s patch does more than what a mere symlink
> >would do.  By making programs sensitive both to /run/nologin and
> >/etc/nologin, it becomes possible for the administrator to prevent
> >logins by touching /etc/nologin, and this will not affect or be
> >affected by what sysvinit does to /run/nologin.  Is this a good idea?
>No. This is a gratuitous incompaibility from long time UNIX systems
>practice.

I see.  It is incompatible because it preserves the behaviour that admins
are expecting, and at the same time removing a program state file from /etc.

I posit that you have not read the patch, nor read Thomas' mail that you
replied to, nor have any idea what this thread is about.  You, sir, are on
crack.

I am switching to mail(1).

--
jaq@debian.org                               http://people.debian.org/~jaq