Re: Debian for x86-64 (AMD Opteron)

At Sat, 26 Apr 2003 03:01:58 +0200,
Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Friday 25 April 2003 19:36, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>
> > You know this will probably require modifications in *thousands* of
> > packages ?
>
> Yes, I fully understand the impact. I've done it for half the packages
> in something similar to Red Hat 9 on s390x and we're in the currently
> building a minimal sid with /lib64 on s390x.

BTW, is it really _good direction_ for supporting x86-64 ?  I think
this is really important decision.  We're standing at a serious
turning point.  This issue is related with other arches, and I concern
the future binaries/libraries compatibility.

In addition, should all debian developers know about it when he
packages libraries ?

Regards,
-- gotom