Re: i386 compatibility & libstdc++

W liście z sob, 26-04-2003, godz. 09:56, Chris Cheney pisze:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 06:38:34PM +1200, Nick Phillips wrote:
> > It may be relatively cheap and easy for *you* to buy a two-year-old
> > system, but I don't believe that in this case you are representative
> > of nearly enough of our users to be a useful example.
> In Dec 1994 I got my P90 with the biggest available ide hard drive
> which was 500MB. Compare that size to what sid currently requires for
> various installs:
>
> sid chroot           install - 160MB
> sid standard         install - 249MB
> sid standard + gnome install - 623MB
> sid standard + kde   install - 677MB

Huh, my first Linux server installation was 386 40MHz 8MB RAM
with 2,3GB hard disk which was starting AFAIK in "linear" mode
(it was in RH 6.0 days).

But even now FWICS it is quite common to use older hardware with
bigger disks, especially as distros tend to be bigger and bigger
(my router used to be potato which fit in 80MB HDD quite nicely,
but after upgrade to woody I couldn't fit all the previous
functionality within those 80MB).

Anyway - I am not using any true 386 systems since years,
so maybe first solution would be to just make i386 mean
"i486 and higher". If there's *real* need for i386, then
it should be possible to create i386true sub-distro in the future.

Just my 0.02$

					Grzegorz B. Prokopski

PS: Do not make no jokes about running KDE/GNOME on i386true :-)

--
Grzegorz B. Prokopski <gadek@debian.org>
Debian http://www.debian.org/