Re: pilot-link in Sid and Sarge: Much bigger question

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 03:27:57PM -0500, David Krider wrote:
> Please don't tell me, "We'll blah, blah release blah when blah it's
> blah, blah, blah ready."
What do you expect people to say? This is the development model. If you
think things are going too slow, help out and start squashing bugs.
There's plenty of RC bugs that need work. If you don't have the skills
to help fix them, then why do you expect people who actually do have
the skills and knowledge to fix it as fast as you want?

You say you can't deal with unstable because the software is broken.
Well, that's because the software you want isn't ready to be released.
It's broken. There's work to be done. You can't just say "I won't run
unstable because it's broken" and then say "Release, because it all
works Ok and I need it now". They're mutually exclusive. Sarge simply
isn't ready to release.

>I understand that things aren't likely to change in
> the Debian project simply because *I* want them to be different. I'm not
> asking them to. I just want to understand how and *why* people on these
> lists use Debian on their desktops when it seems to lag so far behind
> other distros. Maybe they don't. Maybe people here run something else on
> the desktop.
It depends on your needs. I run unstable on my desktop, as do many
others. Other people run testing. Others still run woody. It's up to
what you need and want. If you can't deal with unstable, maybe try
testing, but be sure to manually monitor security issues.

 - David