Re: stop the "manage with debconf" madness

>> On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 14:07:04 +0100,
>> Matt Ryan <mryan@debian.org> said:

 > Personally I use the ask-about-overwrite question in debconf
 > because the last time this thread came up the only sensible
 > solution was put forward in the attached email. Now, I'm all for a
 > better solution when it is determined what that is, *but* I'm not
 > for a witch hunt based on what was seen to be previous best
 > practice.

	I'm sorry that all of us can't participate in all the
 discussions on -devel, and some times the optimal solutions are not
 reached. But when these solutions were starting to get implemented, I
 did point out the policy violations, and even filed a few serious
 bugs about them. I did not have the time or the energy then to do
 much more.

	Around the same time, ucf was written to allow one to manage a
 configuration file, allowing one to generate configuration files on
 the fly, and still afford the user changes dpkg like protection.

	In any case, pointing to an old discussion on -devel is not a
 justification for not preserving user changes. Asking the admin
 whether one may violate Debian policy ought not to be a license to do
 as one wishes.

	Secondly, this isnot a witch hunt. What is being done is that
 a policy violation in older practice is being pointed
 out. Alternatives are being discussed; a witch hunt would have
 involved mass RC bug filings.

	Debconf did not suddenly give people a reason to not preserve
 user changes; amd we had already rejected destruction of user changes
 before (one could have written a mainainter script in 1995 that asked
 the user once, populated a file in /var/lib/, and forever destroyed
 user changes, way before debconf).

	manoj
--
Pardon this fortune.  Database under reconstruction.