Re: stop abusing debconf already

Denis Barbier wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 07:14:19PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Enough already.
> >
> > Folks, if you don't stop abusing debconf with useless notes that belong
> > in README.Debian and config file overwriting, I will stop maintaining
> > it.
> >
> > Stop slapping incorrect uses of debconf in everywhere. Feel free to run
> > any package using debconf by me before you upload it, or take the time
> > to understand yourself how things should work.
>
> I do not understand exactly what is good and bad use of debconf.
> For instance all questions asked by the debconf package have good default
> values, so there is no reason to prompt user, a configuration file is
> enough.  So what am I missing?

The only reasons debconf itself asks those questions still are:

- example of how debconf works
- they _are_ overridable with the config file, in an appropriate way
- it's not asked at new installs anyway
- people are used to that

I did have some bad ideas about how debconf could be used back years ago
when I wrote it. Those debconf questions (and some really ill-advised
stuff slrn used to do) were the result.

--
see shy jo