Re: [david@eelf.ddts.net: Re: why do we care about configuration files?]

>> On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 17:36:01 -0500 (CDT),
>> J Brown (Ender/Amigo) <debian@enderboi.com> said:

 >> 3) Impatient but advanced user
 >> Somebody who dislikes being asked repeatedly whether or not a
 >> conffile can be overwritten. This user has tested
 >> xserver-xfree86's debconf interface, and has taken the time to
 >> understand how xserver-xfree86's postinst generates the
 >> configuration file based on the debconf information. He is very
 >> confident in it doing the right thing, and doesn't want to be
 >> bothered on each upgrade about whether or not it can overwrite
 >> it. More importantly, this user knows full well that, in the very
 >> rare circumstance where it *does* break, he can easily fix it
 >> within minutes.

 >> This user will likely feel the same way about almost all
 >> debconf/postinst-managed configuration files, excepting the few
 >> which he knows will break repeatedly. He doesn't want to get asked
 >> 50 "may I overwrite your file?" questions each upgrade. He knows
 >> that in the time spent reading and answering all those questions,
 >> he could just has easily fixed the two cases of breakage. Which he
 >> would have to do in addition to answering the questions, were they
 >> forced upon him.

	If you use ucf like mechanisms, and you acpet the first
 debconf generated file, then you will never be asked to over write
 your file -- since the md5sum of the installed file shall match the
 previous maintainer version. Bingo, we cater to all these use cases
 at once.

	manoj
--
We are MicroSoft.  You will be assimilated.  Resistance is
futile. (Attributed to B.G., Gill Bates)