Re: [desktop] Draft proposal for a new debian menu system

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 08:21:03PM +0200, Bernhard R. Link wrote:

> > With all the new anvances in Linux Desktop tecnologies, it seems like
> > the current menu system needs some redesign to keep up and integrate
> > with the other existing systems.
> Please explain this phrase. Ecspecially the "other existing systems".
> Debian menu-system has many disadvantages, though I've not heared of
> any other system at all.

We have at least three parallel menu systems around: the Debian Menu,
the Gnome Foot Menu and the KDE menu.

> > open Desktop Menu Specification found here:
> >   http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu/draft/menu-spec/menu-spec.html
> Seems to be both for the "desktop" and the "menus". I do not see what
> they have in common.

Menus are things that are also used in the desktop.  Or didn't I
understand your question?

> It seems to miss some things, most important in my eyes a possibility to
> switch window managers. (I doubt it is usable for anything than KDE or
> Gnome)

We now acheive the possibility to switch window managers by generating,
from a single metadata source, the menu data for the various window
managers or menu-using applications we package.

We could keep doing the same, but using the freedesktop format for our
metadata source instead of the one we're using now.

Bye,

Enrico