Re: Hardware Compatibility List for Woody (exist)?

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 04:19:59PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Boot a Knoppix CD.  If it detects and runs your hardware, it is supported.
> If it doesn't, it isn't.
[...]
> Wasn't there a hardware database at linux.com or linux.org?  I can't
> find it anymore and I didn't really care before.

Ya know, a reporting program along the lines of "popularity-contest"
might be pretty useful.  Add a simple interface to allow users to assert
that some hardware does or doesn't work to some degree, to override
"autodetection".

An up-to-date compatibility list might be a snapshot of the past month's
reports.  Perhaps searching for some hardware could suggest the best boot
image to use (matching reported kernel version to image version).  It
might assist the d-installer folks in seeing the "best common practice"
of kernels and modules for some hardware.

Anyway, I'm just "thinking out loud", not volunteering to write it.

						- chad