Debian Developer LDAP

I've volunteered to help build a database of KDE advocates and am
starting the design.  A previous kde-promo thread mentioned the
Debian LDAP gateway as a possible model to follow.

I would be interested in any feedback the Debian developers have on
this system.  It seems to have a lot of nice functionality, but I'd
like to know how it actually get's used.  (For example, it seems
xplanet stuff doesn't work right now--no X's on the map, and the
coords file is empty.)

Here's a few questions that I came up with.  I'm interested in any and
all feedback, so don't feel limited by this set. :)

(1) what do you find most useful?  least?

(2) do people really update their records?  (For example, what
percentage of entries were updated last year?  What percentage of
entries have not been updated at all for two years?  three years?)

(3) is the email gateway used?

(4) are there any docs I can read?  (The KDE thread made mention of
some python scripts.)

(5) if I decide to follow the LDAP route, is there someone here who
would be willing to take some time to give me a bit of guidance?

While an LDAP approach seems to be the correct one, I've no experience
with it so I'm leery of starting something I cannot finish.

Thanks for any feedback.

Mark

P.S. I'm not subscribed, so please CC me.