Re: Update on alioth

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 02:27:10PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Joerg Wendland wrote:
> > When debugging an application of mine using OpenLDAP I found out, that
> > each single ACL makes not queries but return of results significantly
> > slower. Maybe you want to try to tune these...
>
> ACL can make LDAP horribly slow, but we already have a pretty minimal
> set. I did change the libnss-ldap configuration a bit yesterday which
> seems to have helped a lot. Just doesn't try to benchmark using commands
> like id: they grab the complete list of accounts and groups which will
> be slow, as well as incomplete since there is a limit on the number of
>
> Wichert.

Not to add extra work for you, but others might find it
illuminating to have your LDAP experience written up in some
detail (before you forget all the things you learned).

I am planning on redo-ing an LDAP setup this summer, and I have
found case studies of others' experiences very enlightening while
I plan for it.  My scale is small, but even the case studies of
very large directories have been very useful.

Don

--
Don Bindner <dbindner@truman.edu>