Re: Debian for x86-64 (AMD Opteron)

Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org> writes:

> multiple names.  We could make this easier in dpkg probably.  And then
> you would only install i386 packages if there wasn't an x86-64 package
> with the same package name...

For application that approach (use x86-64 if available, i386
otherwise) would likely work.  But for library packages it must be
possible to install 32bit and 64bit versions in parallel, so it must
be possible to separate glibc 32bit + glibc 64bit somehow.

Using different names for 32bit and 64bit shared library packages is
IMHO not a bad idea to deal with the issue.  Sure, you have to touch
every f*cking library package to implement that, but you have to do
that anyway to move the 64bit versions of the shared libraries to
/lib64 (and this in turn is needed to be compatible with the rest of
the world).

  Gerd

--
Gerd Knorr <kraxel@debian.org>