Re: /run and read-only /etc

I'm concerned about the mess that could result in changing a bunch of
stuff.  Suggestion:

If all affected files are in a subdir, If root is read-only, mount a
tmpfs, use --bind mount to put the tmpfs fs over the read-only config
dir.  output of dhcp/ppp etc will be captured at startup, then if/when
root is rw umount the --bind, and copy it all into place in the real
config dir.  It's no less messing about, but after it's done, it's as if
it never happened, and packages/progs don't need to be modified, except
to put stuff in a subdir (don't want to do this to entire /etc).

2.2 kernels are out though.

YMMV,

Jeremy

--