Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

According to Paul Hedderly:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 11:26:30AM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> > I agree. I hate extra top-level directories too. That's why I came
> > up with /var/bootstate, but /run seems more elegant.
>
> Could have /etc/run - will etc be mounted?
> (Thats the other problem with /var/bootstate - it requires /var to be
> mounted first)

That why I came up with an eleborate scheme that made /var/bootstate
available /before/ /var is mounted. Yes, that is possible. But it
would probably be an incomprehensible concept to most people, so
it's a bad idea.

> > It sounds too much like /dev/mem to me. Ehm. /ram ? /volatile ? /vltl ?
> > Too bad /vol has been taken already ..
>
> Yea - howabout /temporary or erm,
> /tmp
> Thats it!

Well, yes, but the problem with /tmp is that it is writeable by anyone,
and that's something you do not want for /run.

Besides, I do not want my /tmp on a ram-based tmpfs. My /tmp is hundreds
of megs, I unpack kernels in it, I really really don't want that on
a tmpfs

Mike.