Re: Porting packages to use po-debconf for debconf template translation management

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 10:31:15AM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 12:47:11PM -0300, Andre Luis Lopes wrote:
> > I'm also concerned about backports. I have the impression that changing
> > packages to use po-debconf will actually make things worse for
> > backporters trying to make packages build correclty on Woody.
>
> > Could someone give me some hints on how should I proceed ?
>
> Use of po-debconf does not require a dependency, only a build-dependency;
> the binary packages contain merged templates files as before, and these
> files require only a current version of debconf to be used correctly.

That still makes things more difficult for people backporting to stable,
which is very important for some packages. We had a debate about this in
#183986 (which I need to find some time to read in enough detail to
implement it).