RE: nvidia display drivers

You can download the kernel source from kernel.org and compile a new
kernel.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bastiaan Naber [mailto:bastiaan@ricardis.tudelft.nl]
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 3:30 PM
To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Subject: nvidia display drivers

Hi there,

I am trying to install the NVidia drivers.. (I know that they are bad
but I do
my thesis work and I need a proper OpenGL, mesa doesn't render it
correctly)
I downloaded the new installer from NVidia and try to build the kernel
module.. However I run unstable and the build fails and the nvidia log
gives
the following error message:

-> Building kernel module:
   executing: 'cd ./usr/src/nv; make nvidia.o
SYSINCLUDE=/usr/src/kernel-header
   s-2.4.20-1-k7/include'...

   You appear to be compiling the NVIDIA kernel module with
   a compiler different from the one that was used to compile
   the running kernel. This may be perfectly fine, but there
   are cases where this can lead to unexpected behaviour and
   system crashes.

   If you know what you are doing and want to override this
   check, you can do so by setting IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH.

   In any other case, set the CC environment variable to the
   name of the compiler that was used to compile the kernel.

   *** Failed cc sanity check. Bailing out! ***
   make: *** [gcc-check] Error 1
-> Error.
ERROR: Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module.
ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file
       '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find
suggestions
       on fixing installation problems in the README available on the
Linux
       driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

Now this seem pretty obvious.. I think the kernel was compiled with gcc
2.xxx
?? And I have 3.2.x. So how do I fix this ?

Thanks,
Bastiaan