Re: Introducing Alioth: SourceForge for Debian

Hi,

On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 07:46:14 +0000, Philip Brown wrote:
>> Of course, the ideal bug database these days would have an XMLRPC
>> interface and would have good email and XHTML layers on top ...
>
> XMLRPC? gads :-(

The alternative is to invent your own ad-hoc protocol, which is a
different can of worms.

I'll leave discussion of relative merits to Other People, save to note
that hacking an ad-hoc xmlrpc thing to interface something to
something_else is less painful FOR ME than to write-and-debug my own TCP
protocol.

> In "the old days", someone would just "write a script". has that somehow
> become less effective now that XML has been invented? :-/

A Web interface applies changes instantly. You can't do that with a script
which parses the bug database's mbox format and sends emails to add
changes. ;-)

--
Matthias