Re: Introducing Alioth: SourceForge for Debian

Colin Watson (2003-03-31 18:34:54 +0100) :

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 11:05:05AM -0600, Drew Scott Daniels wrote:
>> I see it was mentioned that cvs.debian.org will likely be (or maybe
>> technically already has been) depreciated in favor of Alioth. I
>> wonder if this is the case with the debian BTS?
>
> Not to my knowledge, and I think it would be a bad idea. I agree
> that the SourceForge-style one should probably be disabled.

The BTS in Alioth is enabled or disabled on a per-project basis, at
the discretion of the project admin(s).  If your project is a package,
you'll probably want to disable it.  If it's a project "whose goal is
to promote Debian or one of its derivatives", then you may need/want
it.  What was the motto of X again?  Something about "providing tools,
not policies"?  I feel the same about Alioth.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

With the arrest of Dimitry Sklyarov it has become apparent that it is not
safe for non US software engineers to visit the United States. - Alan Cox