Re: [desktop] Installation of mail server by default

Hi.

Jan Niehusmann wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 10:23:12AM -0500, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
>>Having a different sendmail program than MTA *easily* leads to lost
>>mail, because the queue isn't processed. Or because mailers use
>>different queue formats.
> Perhaps all installed mailers should get started, but all but one should
> get configured in a way that doesn't involve listening on port 25? That
> way they could still process queues and deliver outgoing mail.
Anthony's argument (which pretty much was what I had in mind when suggesting
usage of /usr/sbin/sendmail) also applies here: People will expect that mail fed
to 127.0.0.1:25 will behave the same as mail fed to sendmail -bs.
Also, if you're suggestion would be implemented, more people would be running
two MTAs without wanting that than there are users who potentially benefit by
intentionally creating such situations.
Additionally, if you want to hack your MTA configuration to listen on other
ports than 25 you might as well adapt you init.d scripts also.

Cheers

T.
(P.S.: Jan - sorry for the accidental private copy of this.)