Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 10:53:32AM -0000, Matt Ryan wrote:

> > For example my patched mount works just as before and uses
> > /etc/mtab. But if that is a link it will follow it and use the target
> > directory of the link for lock and temp files and modify the target of
> > the link and not the link itself.
> >
> > That way everyone who wants a RO / can create a RW /mem, move his mtab
> > there and link it. All done.
> Would the best plan be to leave our tools as standard as possible and put a
> new set of packages into the archive that have this functionality? All
> anyone who wants this mess on there system then has to do is install the
> other version of the tools.

Don't be unnecessarily harsh. Compatibility isn't broken. The only thing
that happens is a test for a symlink before behaving as usual.

The tools are completely standard if you have /etc/mtab as a regular
file. No mess is created on your system, not even one single inode will
be added because of this. What kind of mess are you afraid of, exactly?

E-Advies - Emile van Bergen           emile@e-advies.nl
tel. +31 (0)70 3906153           http://www.e-advies.nl