Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 01:29, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> > smpasswd is more like /etc/passwd.
> >
> > It could perhaps be argued that maybe it should go under /var/lib.

Same goes for /etc/passwd.

> > In any case, smbpasswd isn't a requirement for using a samba server,
> > I believe you can use network based authentication...

True, but we want full functionality.

> > Why does hotplug need to be changed?
>
> Does that handle network cards and thus needs to write /etc/resolv.conf?

If it does then my SE policy for it is incomplete.  I have not seen it touch
/etc/resolv.conf.  It writes to /etc/nohotplug at least.

> > /etc/ntp.drift and/or /etc/adjtime might be a problem, I gather not only
> > to they need to be writable at boot time, but the state needs to be
> > preserved across boots.
>
> A ntpd without network is pretty useless and as soon as network is
> setup all filesystems can be mounted before ntpd is run. Also a

I agree.  /var is a good place for ntp.drift.  adjtime is another issue
however, don't we want to read that before starting daemons in the case of a
machine that has been powered down for a while?