Re: RFC: New required package: libblkid1

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 02:31:35PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 08:14:54PM +0100, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> > That means it needs to change on nearly daily basis here.
>
> "needs"?  It's a cache, and if you don't mind it scanning your devices when
> you do a uuid-based mount, then you don't need it and if you insist on
> having a read-only root partition, everything still works for you.  Where's
> the problem?

I'm just trying to understand something. If you have 6000 partitions
mounting by UUID without a cache, does this mean that mount would scan the
partitions over 10 million times to complete it's job? Is this the problem
being solved? Obviously mount -a could optimise but which 600 seperate mount
commands I imagine this would be an issue.