Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

* Jamie Wilkinson <jaq@debian.org> [030324 09:07]:
> - Keeping track of state files in two locations is more complex than if they
>   were in only one location.
>
>   Unix has had a search path for a long time now.  I also don't see why a
>   program would have to use *both* locations, they only need to use one of
>   them.  Programs should want to write to /var/run before /run, of course --
>   it would be considered an improper use of /run for a general system program
>   that runs after the system has been initialised to be using /run when
>   /var/run is available.

I think /var/run and /run should be kept seperate. As /bin and /usr/bin
are. What needs to be there, before /var is mounted, should go to /run.
(Thus only things polluting /etc/ currently)
The rest should go to /var/run as it should until now.

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link

--
Sendmail is like emacs: A nice operating system, but missing
an editor and a MTA.