Re: Is LPPL + some additions DSFG free?

Hi,

[ Quoting full text because that should go to -legal; cc'ing -legal ]

Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am currently packaging latex-ucs (see #160953), being mentored and
> sponsored by Rene Engelhard <rene@debian.org>. The package is

I wasn't sure about the LPPL issues; I remember some discussions in
the last moths and searched, but I haven't found a conclusion in the
archives...

> currently licensed under the LaTeX Project Public License (see
> http://www.latex-project.org/lppl.txt) with the following additions by
> upsteam:
>
> This program may be distributed and/or modified under the conditions
> of the LaTeX Project Public License, either version 1.1 of this
> license or (at your option) any later version, with the following
> extensions:
>
> - distribution may omit the files data/uninames.dat and
>   ucs-doc.dvi
>
> - The directory structure may be changed
>
> - The data/uni-*.def files may be regenerated via makeunidef.pl
>   from a valid set of config/*.def files without changing the former's
>   names, whereby a valid set of config/*.ucf files consists of the
>   original files and any local additions in separate files, whereby
>   any characters defined in these should only be accessible via an
>   option which starts with the five letters 'local'. (See the
>   documentation files for a description of the technical terms and
>   names in this paragraph).
>
> Since I want to split up the package in several (base, -dev, -doc,
> -contrib), I contacted upsteam who added the following permission:
>
> - A distribution may split the package into smaller packages, as long
>   as this fact is visible to the user and the user may easily install
>   the complete UCS package (e.g. by installing all small packages).
>
> Since the LPPL is quite restrictive, I'm not sure whether the LPPL +
> upstream's additions can be seen as DFSG-free.
>
> The most recent of the (few) statements about the LPPL can be found at
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/1999/debian-legal-199911/msg00145.html
> However, the thread was not very exhausting, so I'm asking again.
>
> It would be nice if answers are cc'ed to me since I'm not subscribed
> to d-legal.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Martin

Regards,

Rene

--
 .''`.  Rene Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 `. `'  rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: 248AEB73