Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 04:14:33PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 01:37:42AM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> Well, okay, but some of us don't see a problem that would need a solution. :)
>
> I've got my /, /etc and /var all mounted read-write, and they all function
> nicely.

Even better if ifup|down could actually determine their state rather
than writing it to a file and assuming it's correct.

bash-2.05b# ifconfig eth0 down
bash-2.05b# ifup eth0
ifup: interface eth0 already configured

Similarly, if the interface fails to configure (eg there is no eth0 due
to incorrect driver), ifup doesn't always realise and can sometimes tell
you the interface is configured when it clearly isn't.

Hamish