Re: Aptitude, ARs

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 09:28:20AM +0100, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > I don't know if there is any theory about this. Say you notice that several
> > hundred packages happen to mention the word "gnome", that would indicate a
> > Gnome category may be useful.
> Oh, just install the packages from the categories "the", "package", and
> "library", and you'll have all you need.

You'd probably have to ignore anything that's too common. I mean, a category
has to restrict in some way.

> > Just an idea mind you.
> Seriously: The advantage of automatic is the amount of stuff that can be
> processed. It does nothing to have consistency. I.E. "aleon is my cool
> webbrowser, just like galeon but without the annoying gnome stuff" would be in
> the category gnome.
> As we have slightly less packages than the internet pages, debian should stick
> with some (if at all possible distributed) manual process.

Ok, but you already have a list of keywords used in other packages. Just
matching on those initially with give a good first approximation.

You'll then have a basis to work with. You only need to do it once to get
something to work with.