Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 11:04:59PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> The right name is /run, I guess.

Too bad, but I've seen little support for /mem, so I guess it's
allright.

> How about an implementation in sysvinit like this:
>
> - sysvinit includes /run
> - if the kernel supports it a shmfs is mounted on /run
> - otherwise if the kernel supports it a ramdisk is mounted on /run
> - the size of the shmfs/ramdisk can be set in /etc/default/rundirsize
>   and is 128K by default. That will give you 94K and 128 inodes
>   for an ext2 filesystem on a ramdisk and 128K for shmfs. That
>   should be plenty, or not?

Looks excellent.

> I don't think persistance between boots is important.

No, and if anyone wants it for laptop purposes, (s)he can always create
a subdirectory that's copied back and forth. I'm fine with that.

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies - Emile van Bergen           emile@e-advies.nl