Re: debconf template translation

On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 11:01:05PM +0100, Denis Barbier wrote:
[snip]
> Exactly.  Working on l10n in other large projects like GNOME and KDE
> is much easier because
>   a) translators have read access to an up-to-date CVS repository

Some kind of CVS repository for debconf templates as we already have
for debian-installer's PO files would be perfect. I found it much
easier to work on debian-installer translations using CVS than
having to track each package. I'm now able to keep translations
updated enough with the original english templates and new udebs
releases are usually made with my translations matching the original
templates.

>   b) l10n coordinators have CVS write access for their PO files and
>      thus do not depend on package maintainers

That's a great advantage for me also. I'm now able to work on my
translations and I don't need to bother anyone with CVS write access
to commit my changes.

>   c) there is a string freeze (usually between 2 and 4 weeks) before
>      the real freeze, so that translators can finish their work.

We could use the freeze period we already have for templates freeze
also. If no newer package versions are allowed (only bug fixes), changes
in the original english string should not be allowed also. This way
translators could work to update their translations and we could
release with a good amount of fully (and not only partially) translated
templates.

--
||  André Luís Lopes                   andrelop@ig.com.br               ||