Re: Rethinking Qt headers (should the header packages be recombined?)

Michael,

> > You are still assuming that the user is able to install software and
> > doesn't have to grovel to her admin in order to get libqt3-dev installed
> > only to find out that she also needs the -compat headers. That was my
> > point.

> If those headers are deprectaed, can't they just fix their software in
> case the admin doesn't use dselect[0]?

I'm not thinking about the developer archetypes. Those will just sigh,
install Qt from the .tgz into their homedir and complain to everyone
around what an idiot the admin is[1]. I'm thinking about real users who
follow the INSTALL file of some software package because the admin told
them that she wouldn't install it for them. Those people will never see
Debconf notes and possibly not know that they need to look into
/usr/share/libqt3-dev/README.Debian if their software doesn't compile
because that's not mentioned in the INSTALL doc.

If configure tells you that you need a particular piece of software on
your box, this is fine, since it is a more or less helpful error
message. If configure goes through and the build fails because some
files could not be found, the error message is not at all helpful to
someone who doesn't program.

   Simon

[1] "because he doesn't use a proper distribution, like Gentoo. Yes,
  Gentoo may have its drawbacks, but at least you can compile stuff!"

--
GPG Fingerprint: 040E B5F7 84F1 4FBC CEAD  ADC6 18A0 CC8D 5706 A4B4