Re: Future of Debian !uncertain

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 10:53:24AM -0800, Joseph M. Maher wrote:

> Debian needs an installer that aims to install debian on all ports under
> all conditions. This installer might be "hard to use", i.e. you are
> expected to know basic facts about your hardware and make decisions about
> how you want things set up.

Here's what confuses me.  Most of the installer's task is the same across
modern architectures these days.

There are some differences in partitioning, bootloader installation, and a
few minor differences in hardware.

But overall, it's the same.  Everyone's using PCI.  The same video chipsets
are used everywhere, etc.

The few special cases (ie, macserial instead of serial) shouldn't be a big
problem.

discover is not limited to x86.  So why is there a problem?