Re: Future of Debian uncertain?

On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 00:49, Alan Shutko wrote:

> Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com> writes:
>
> > Altho to be honest, I can't see why any program would have a large array
> > on the *STACK*!
>
> It's not hard to do with multidimensional arrays.  I've had to debug
> code which crashed for unapparent reasons when the limit was set too
> low....

I'm still unsure about the practise of using *megabytes* of space for
your stack.  That ends up affecting the size of the executable.  It's
far, far more efficient, not to mention friendlier to the system, to get
the space you need for your multi-dimensional arrays off the heap.

Besides, I always learnt that there were three valid limits you could
impose in computing: 0, 1 or infinity.  Anything else is just arbitrary,
and should be avoided without very good reason.  You can only have a
fixed size array on the stack.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant     Have you ever, ever felt like this?  Had strange
http://netsplit.com/      things happen?  Are you going round the twist?